installation on AMD64 went fine, but ...

Hi folks,

I was forced to reinstall my PC from scratch. The installation
using the monolithic image for AMD64 of some days ago went fine.
But why did I had to manually comment out 'ide-generic' from
/etc/modules to enable DMA?

The correct IDE module for my PC would be amd74xx. It was
presented together with all the other IDE modules in the
installation menu. But at a regular boot of the freshly
installed Debian the ide-generic module got loaded before
amd74xx. And ide-generic does not support DMA, at least
for my PC. (The boot disk is managed by sata_sil, i.e. it is
no IDE disk, hence initrd.img does not load any IDE driver).

I would suggest that ide-generic should not be tried first.
It should be tried last just for the case that discover or
hotplug were not able to find a working IDE driver for some
hardware.

Regards

Harri