Re: preseeding and environment overrides

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 03:30, Joey Hess wrote:
> Currently values passed on the command-line only affect d-i first
> stage. Would it be useful if they also affected second-stage, like
> other preseeded values, or would this lead to problems? I suspect
> booting with debconf/frontend=text could be problimatic or at least
> suprising if it affected deconf, for example. Still, the consistency
> would be nice.

Gut reaction: command line params should be limited to 1st stage, all else
is confusing.
Exception: debconf/priority, which is indirect anyway.

IMO there's a real difference between using a preseed file and passing
command line options.

> I have a kind of solution to the problem of these variables being
> sometimes annoyingly long: globbing. */framebuffer=false,
> */locale=en_US, */keymap=us. Does this make sense, or look too ugly to
> expect users to type it? Using the glob preserves the current indicator
> of a debconf environment variable (the /), and also indicates rather
> well that this setting may apply to more than one thing. I can think of
> two ways to implement it, the better way would be a cdebconf db that is
> put in the stack and looks up values from globs.

Another option would be to define specific synonyms, like d-i for
debian-installer (probably the only one really needed).