Re: Packages with "Debian" in templates

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:34:51AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Colin recently mentioned the extra work added for him when merging
> Ubuntu translation back/forth to Debian. Some of this work is
> complicated by the branding we currently have in several packages.
>
> Colin bagen to remove most "Debian" occurrences, at places they
> obviously had no added value.
>
> Below is the list of the remaining packages where "Debian" appear in
> the templates file(s):
>
> main-menu
> localechooser
> netcfg
> choose-mirror
> cdrom-detect
> iso-scan
> partman-auto
> anna
> base-installer
> grub-installer
>

> I think that for most of them we can probably remove the branding.
>
> Choose-mirror, main-menu and anna templates may be more difficult to
> "clean out" and need a few discussions.

I've just done base-installer, and the grub-installer match is just in a
template name (grub-installer/only_debian) so doesn't matter.

Several packages (base-config, cdrom-detect, choose-mirror, iso-scan)
include the mirror/suite template, which I have no idea what to do with:

Template: mirror/suite
Type: select
_Choices: stable, testing, unstable
 Debian comes in several flavors. Stable is well-tested and rarely changes.
 Unstable is untested and frequently changing. Testing is a middle ground,
 that receives many of the new versions from unstable if they are not too
 buggy.

This is worse because for some distributions (Debian) it makes some
sense to translate the suite (although I'm not entirely sure about that;
there is a dists/stable symlink, after all), whereas for others (Ubuntu)
it doesn't make sense to translate the suite because it's a proper noun.

cdrom-detect has:

Template: cdrom-detect/wrong-cd
Type: error
 The CD-ROM drive contains a non-Debian CD.
 .
 Please insert a Debian CD to continue with the installation.

What's good wording here? "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot
be used for installation", and "Please insert a suitable CD", perhaps?
"Non-Debian" is inaccurate anyway, since it only tests for
/cdrom/.disk/info, which any distribution that uses debian-cd will have.

choose-mirror talks about "the Debian archive" or "Debian archive
mirror" a lot. I suppose that could just be "the archive" and "archive
mirror", maybe? Not entirely obvious.

I have a local diff for part of netcfg, but I'm not sure what to do
about this:

Template: netcfg/no_default_route
Type: boolean
 The network autoconfiguration was successful. However, no default route
 was set: the system does not know how to communicate with hosts on the
 Internet. This will make it impossible to continue with the installation
 unless you have the first official Debian CD-ROM, a 'Netinst' CD-ROM, or
 packages available on the local network.
 .
 If you are unsure, you should not continue without a default route:
 contact your local network administrator about this problem.