Re: GTK frontend, more user-friendliness problems to solve

On 5/18/05, Attilio Fiandrotti <fiandro@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> Hi
>

> *When a main-menu step is completed the next step is "highligtened"
> because by putting focus on the corresponding button in the main-menu in
> the left area of the screen.
>
> This could be not so clear a newbie to the debian instalation system,
> nor is clear that clicking on the highlightened button in the main menu
>   or on the forward button are equivalent actions (in newt this problem
> doesn't arise since the next step to do is clearly marked)
> I came up with two solutions

Take care that the Debian Installer system permits (in case of
failure) to return to the main menu and execute an arbitrary  step
that was already ran.

> -Bold text inside the button that has focus on it (is this possible in GTK?)
> -The text (example :  "Configure the network" ) could be wrapped between
>     "->" and "<-" (it would be then "-> Configure the network <-")

I was thinking of an increased button, relative to the others

> I know there are still more important problems

like modifing cdebconf :) to support non-blocking questions to allow
many widgets on a single window (mimicking newt is just plain wrong)

 to think about but i
> think it wouldn't be bad starting to think about user-friendliness of
> the installer, since switching to GTK from NEWT comports many problems
> like those i've mentioned above.

I agree.
In about 2 weeks I will be available, so if you have any ideas and you
don't have time to implement, then, please, contact me. I might be
avaliable.

--
Regards,
EddyP