Re: Can't boot floppy on PowerMac G3

--- Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Bug #297536 has more info on netbooting powerpc.

On NewWorld machines only, unfortunately.

I just tried the Woody boot floppy. It works, first try.
(unfortunately it panics on the root floppy, without even
touching the disc, otherwise I'd just dist-upgrade from woody).

I have written out the 2.4 floppy boot image on five different
floppies, both under MacOS (make-debian-floppies) on the machine
in question and on my main machine. The discs that were written
on the Mac were then validated against the image on the other
machine. In all cases, the Mac will not boot, and under MacOS
the only file on the floppy is vmlinuz--nothing with happy Mac
faces on it. Boot sequence is: black screen (~5 sec), quick
floppy seek, stipple screen with cursor (~5 sec), quick floppy
seek followed immediately by eject (so very little data read
from disc), "question mark floppy" icon on-screen for about 1/2
sec, happy Mac icon and boot from hard drive.

Every indication I have here points to an issue with the sarge
boot floppy image and not my equipment (other than, of course,
the morass that is OF 2.x).