Re: Status of the sarge branch?

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > What is the current status of the sarge branch ?
> >
> > Is it synced with what we really have in RC3 (at least for the
> > initrds) or does it still need some synchronisation.
>
> It's fully synchronised with rc3 and rc3 has also been tagged in
> subversion.

OK. Then I consider re-generating the master PO files in the next
days. They will be first updated from the individual packages PO
files, then merged with the master PO files from the unstable branch.

If this is made carefully (my duty..:-))), this should not break
existing translations.

However, for sure, this will change individual PO files in d-i
packages from the sarge branch. Most often because, in the meantime,
some translators did QA on unstable.

The key question is thus indeed : what will we release from, starting
from now?

If a package needs an update for whatever reason, will we first commit
the change to the sarge branch, then release from there?

Or is there a chance that a package is released from unstable, then
moved to testing, then updated in the sarge branch?

This changes the message I will give to translators:

-in the first case, I can tell them they can treat both branches as
completely separate branches

-in the latter case, I have to tell them that *any* change which is
made to sarge MUST be made also in unstable if the relevant string is
in both versions

My own advice is that we should probably start by releasing only from
sarge, but I may miss several information to make a really motivated
advice.