Re: Problem installing debian linux

Hi,

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 20:56, David Turner wrote:
> I am currently trying to install debian linux on my x86 box.  I have
> created the floppy disk images of rescure.bin, root.bin, and copied
> linux.bin to another disk.  I have successfully booted the rescue.bin
> disk, but then to start the install, if I insert the disk which I
> copies linux.bin onto, I says it's loading linux.bin, but then it gives
> an error, "Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to
> continue."  I have never used debian before, and don't really
> understand what all the disk images are for, and what's involved in the
> install

I would suggest you use the images available from [1] and read our
installation guide available from [2], especially [3] and also [4].

If you have a good internet connection and your network card is
recognized, you should use the net-driver.img floppy.
See the installation guide for alternative installation methods.

You will be using the (final) release candidate of the new installation
system [5] for the upcoming Sarge release.

[1]http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/rc3/images/floppy/
[2]http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/index.html
[3]http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s01.html#floppy-boot
[4]http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06.html