3 questions about init level setting

Thanks all,

my system info:
   sarge release (netinst)
   kernel 2.4.27-2-686

0. Can I use grub command line to transfer init level
to kernel?  If yes, how?  I tried adding 'Full' or
'Single' at the end of kernel command line, but it
didn't work

1. I modified /etc/inittab for several times,
but Sarge always automatically boots into GUI.  why?

2. I tend to boot into level 3 as default.  Then if
GUI is needed, I would like to manually start it by
typing 'startx'.  Is there any other ways to do it?

Do you Yahoo!?