Re: ABI-changing kernel security fixes for sarge

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:09:42PM +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> How big is the chance that we will have another ABI change during
> sarge's lifetime (100%?). So it can't hurd to figure out the problems
> with that now independently of our decision in this matter...

Absolutely.  It's bound to happen again.  We also need to figure out
how to do driver updates during sarge's lifetime.  I suspect virtually
everybody has had the experience of trying to install woody on a new PC.
Some of the problems I remember:

 - new PCI IDs for the eepro100 driver
 - i830 chipset not supported (also needed new X)

Does d-i have an option to insert a driver disc (floppy or cdrom) or
ability to grab a new module package from the net (suboptimal as it may
be the network driver that's missing)?

Either that, or we need to commit to a 6-month release goal for etch and
future releases.  Which wouldn't suck, we used to do it...

Buzz   (1.1): June 1996
Rex    (1.2): December 1996	(6 months)
Bo     (1.3): June 1997		(6 months)
Hamm   (2.0): July 1998		(13 months)
Slink  (2.1): March 1999	(9 months)
Potato (2.2): August 2000	(17 months)
Woody  (3.0): July 2002		(23 months)
Sarge  (3.1): ?			(32 months and counting)