Re: ABI-changing kernel security fixes for sarge

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 16:09, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> My experience with the whole kernel stuff is limited so excuse the
> question: Where is the bottleneck? Building the kernels, testing the
> kernels or whatever else?

IMHO the main problem is that currently loads of other patches are still
being introduced into both the 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 kernels together with
security fixes. Also config files are getting changed which means modules
need to be added/removed for d-i.
This means there's a real risk of things breaking in d-i after a kernel
update and extensive testing is required.

The best way to improve speed of implementation would probably be to
declare the kernels targeted for Sarge as frozen, i.e. no patches or
changes except for RC issues allowed.
IMO this would mean reduced effort for porters to build their new kernel
versions and no need for extensive testing (and repair for several archs)
as was needed for RC3.

Of course, this is only feasible if the release date is in sight.

Cheers,
FJP