Re: debian-installer sarge does not select appropriate AthlonXP (kt7) kernel

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 23:45, J. Grant wrote:
> > For this purpose exists the "businesscard CD".
> > Netinst was initially created to test d-i against unstable or testing
> > only.
>
> I am not sure if I understand, let me check.  I noticed that
> sarge-I386-businesscard.iso is presently 30.4MB, sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> is presently 104MB. If the bussinesscard distribution contains all that
> is necessary to do a netinst and install an optimised k7 kernel, I am
> wondering what the other 73MB on the netinst ISO is for...?

The businesscard contains all code needed for the installer itself on CD
and downloads the debs needed for the base system from the network, so it
has the full range of kernels available.

The netinst also contains all the debs needed to setup the base system,
but with a very limited kernel selection (i.e. only the i386 variant).
The netinst does not use the network connection until _after_ the reboot
(as I have already explained to you in an earlier reply).

Cheers,
FJP