Re: confirm: sb100 keyboard partial success

Hi Vincent,

Thanks very much for this info.
This at least suggests a good work-around: install at medium priority
(boot with 'linux debconf/priority=medium' and select "no keyboard". This
means that you keep the default kernel keymap which, from your notes, I
gather works fine for keyboards with an US keymap.
If there are users with a non-US keymap, they can try choosing "USB
keyboard" and selecting the proper keymap for their country.

I've added some more comments in your mail below.

I don't have any ideas on the CDROM issue. My knowledge of Sparc is too
limited to help you there. However, I did mention the problem to Yurij
Smakov who has recently joined the kernel team and helps take care of
Sparc".

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I've also forwarded your mail to the debian-sparc user list.

On Sunday 13 March 2005 22:32, you wrote:
> > Please try selecting <go back> here and then the menu item for
> > keyboard selection; you should get a menu showing different keyboard
> > types.
>
> this is what I get for the keyboard selection menu.
>
> Select A Keyboard Layout
>   Sun keyboard
>   PC-style (AT or PS-2 connector) keyboard
>   USB keyboard
>   No keyboard to configure
> [go back]
>
> Sun Keyboard is highlighted.

Which obviously is plain wrong. Problem is that USB detection is not very
easy with the 2.4 kernel...

> > What happens if you select a usb-mac keyboard (instead of a SUN-type
> > keyboard) and one of the keymaps shown there?
>
> Choosing USB keyboard (there was no "usb-mac" option)
> takes me to the "Select a keyboard layout" menu.
>
> > Please try both US keymap, UK keymap _and_ one of the others (e.g.
> > German).
>
> US (American English)
>  I get "installation step failed". The failing step was "Select a
> keyboard layout".

That is a bit weird but not completely so as the US USB keymap is actually
a PS/2 keymap (and as choosing PS/2 fails too...)

> UK (British English)
>  I get into the "detect cdrom" stage, which fails as usual.
>  The keyboard is working ok.

That is good. You should probably have a problem with the @ key and IIRC '
or /: these will be exchanged.

> DE ("German")
>  I get into the "detect cdrom" stage, which fails as usual.
>  The keyboard is working ok.
>  At this stage I tried to select "open a shell"
>  This worked, in contrast to the previous time.
>   The keymap is not quite right: "/" is mapped to "-", "y" & "z"
>   are swapped, "&" maps to "/", etc.
>   This might be expected, given the "wrong" choice I made.

Yes, that is expected as German keyboards have these keys in different
places than US keyboards. You will also be able to type all kinds of
weird accented characters using whatever goes for the AltGr key ;-)

> > What happens if you select an AT (PS/2) keymap?
>
> Without rebooting, ie trying to switch from USB to AT/PS2, I get an
> "installation step failed" message.

That is probably because the device for PS/2 is missing and so some
command returns an error.

> > What happens if you select "No keyboard"?
>
> Again w/o rebooting, from the main menu I go into "select kb layout"
> and choose "no keyboard to configure". I am taken back to the main
> menu. The keyboard seems to be working still.

Without rebooting all this does is keep the current keymap.

> If I reboot, and do the "go back" step as at the top of this mail, then
> choose "No keyboard to configure", I get taken directly to the "detect
> and mount cdrom" step.
> The keyboard works ok. Starting a shell, all the keys are mapped ok.

This is good news and what prompted the suggestion for a workaround I
mentioned.