Consequences of udev being pulled in by Gnome

Triggered by some installation reports where I noticed udev being
mentioned, there was the following discussion on #d-boot:

<fjp> I sometimes see udev mentioned in installation reports. How would a
user get udev with d-i? It isn't installed by default, is it?
<h01ger> desktop-task, gnome pulls in udev - afaik
<fjp> Ah, right.
* fjp practically never installs the desktop task...
<Kamion> that's crack, that means that udev is being installed after the
first reboot so you have to put up with the static /dev -> udev
transition
<Kamion> although I guess that means we force the static /dev -> udev
transition to work :P
<Kamion> but it means you really need another reboot to get the system
into a vaguely sane state
<fjp> Kamion: Yes, the installation report was complaining about that. RC
bug against gnome? ;-)
<Kamion> dunno; there's an argument that says we should always install
udev for 2.6 installs, but it's too late to make that change
<Kamion> (would require a lot of testing)
* h01ger can confirm: i also saw this (unable to login via ssh & local via
console) after installing desktop-task last weekend - a reboot "fixed
it". as tfm says...
<h01ger> errata ?
<fjp> h01ger: That would be a bit thin for Sarge release. Who reads the
errata before installing officially released CDs? Release notes or
installation manual: maybe a few more people, but same thing.

So, are we happy that installation of the desktop task is going to force a
'static /dev -> udev transition' (as Colin so beautifully calls it) on
users?

There appear to be several consequences from installing udev in 2nd stage:
- system needs to be rebooted one more time;
- from Holgers comment: system may not be fully usable until the reboot;
- as I understand it from reading some threads on the lists, support
  for some devices which work fine _without_ udev may need manual
  configuration of udev before they will work _with_ udev.

Can/should anything be done about this?
If it's left in, how can we best document it?

--
Cheers,
FJP