Re: d-i and popcon

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:21:41AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Indeed, we should have cared about this before as popcon is a good
> tool for package use statistics (we think about using its stats for
> prioritizing translations for instance) and it will be too bad that it
> is not proposed on new installs for sarge. However, I agree with
> Joey : it's probably too late now...:-(

The problem is that we need a mechanism to introduce popcon to new
Debian users. The statistics show that d-i was a powerful device to that
end. After the release of d-i rc2, the number popcon reports has gone down.

We could use a different mechanism, but evidently it will require its own
set of translations.

I feel it is important to have some statistic about users running
stable, and not only testing/unstable. So what options are we left
with ?

We could mention popcon in the release notes but I doubt this has a major
effect.

> So, sadly, I agree with Joey : adding it now would break automated
> installs, and therefore need the preseeding documentation to be modified.

Is there no way to work around that problem ?

> We can probably handle the translations stats slip because indeed it
> is already translated to 34 languages, so *that* is not really a big
> deal.

That, and we should not consider statistics as an end in itself.  We are
not an administration, are we ? :)

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>