Re: experimental parted in sarge ...

Martin,

Thank you *very* much for your help in testing this.  This bug has been a
thorn in our sides for some time now, and now that we have solid
confirmation that the new parted does fix it, we can move forward.

Sven,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 02:01:44PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:56:19PM -0500, martin yazdzik wrote:
> > Dear S,
> >    Many, many thanks for your kind e-mail copy of the newsgroup post
> > about the dual boot disk geometry issue.  It is indeed hard to track
> > down, as there are three  factors which must be in place to have it go
> > awry.

> Thanks martin for your report, and sorry for not having responded earlier, i
> think your email did get lost in my mailbox, even if i salvaged it from the
> spam box where is almost went.

> I am forwarding this mail to debian-boot and debian-release, in hope that it
> is still time to do something about this.

> Anyway, to debian-boot, and joeyh in particular, and to the debian release
> managers, this is the exact example of why we should include the experimental
> version of parted, and not the one currently in sarge/sid. The number of
> dependent package is minimal, and easy to fix (Colin Watson can attest to
> this), and the fix is solving a real problem, where martin did all the
> checking and reproduction work that have been called for.

> If this is not reason enough to add this info, i wonder what would be, or if
> it is definitively too late for a fixed parted in sarge.

> Ok, here follows the rest of martin's analysis, and again thanks to you martin
> for following this up.

Impeccable timing, as I was going to chase up this issue myself today.  As
we already discussed on IRC, you have my approval for uploading
libparted1.6-12 to unstable today.  Since this will break the sid version of
the installer until an upload of partman is made to match, it would be good
if we could get ahold of the necessary changes from Ubuntu and upload a
fixed partman package within the following 24 hours.

The parted and partman udebs will of course have to propagate to testing
together once Joey is satisfied with them.  We will also have to build
qtparted, python-parted, and libparted-swig-perl against the new version
before the debs (and source) can propagate to testing.

There will also have to be a carefully timed debootstrap change, because
parted is in base on ia64.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer