Re: Final patch

* Denis Barbier [2004-07-07 00:05:01+0200]
> [Cc-list trimmed down]
>
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:16:30AM +0300, Recai Oktas wrote:
> [...]
> > > In fact there is no need for kbd-mode, kbd-chooser (or any other program
> > > run early) should call ioctl to set keyboard in Unicode mode.
> >
> > I added the kbd-mode because an early ioctl call in loadkeys_wrapper to
> > switch to unicode mode simply didn't work (still don't know why),
> [...]
>
> This is indeed very strange.  Anyway having such a program might be
> useful, packages/rootskel/src/lib/debian-installer.d/S[49]0utf8-linux
> will then look very similar to unicode_st{art,op}.  But kbd-mode should
> be renamed to kbd_mode.

I prefered 'kbd-mode' because it slightly differs from the kbd_mode of
console-tools (mainly a trimmed down version enhanced with d-i loggers)
and it fits to the kbd-chooser name space :-)  Should we move the
console mode switch code in S55kbd-chooser to the files you indicated
above?

> About unicode_start, didn't you file a bugreport weeks ago to request that
> calls to kbd_mode and dumpkeys are swapped in this script?  I cannot
> find it.

Yes, I did it for #247944.  But that problem was somewhat different as
explained in the bug report.  Regarding the ioctl call, what is strange
is that the keymaps with unicode symbols (i.e. trqu.kmap) work, if we
switch to unicode mode in loadkeys_wrapper; but the "keyboard freeze"
problem still happens!  To summarize things, it needs exactly two
modification to solve (1) the "keyboard freeze" and (2) "keep working
with unicode keymaps": (1) switch to unicode mode by invoking 'kbd-mode
-u' early and (2) prevent multiple getfd() calls.

--
roktas