debian-installer fails for SiS 648, 648fx, 746 mainboard chipsets

debian-installer fails for my new laptop.  I think I have run in to the
problem described and patched by Oliver Heilmann on the linux-kernel list.
Apparently, the AGP port requires some initialization not provided by
current kernels.  The machine locks up when the kernel tries to load the
agpgart module.

I have no idea when Oliver's patch will make it into the 2.6 series, but I
suppose that will have to happen before it will be backported to a 2.4
kernel suitable for Sarge.  In the meantime, I think it would be
appropriate to provide a way (through a boot agrument I guess) to inhibit
probing for an agp port and loading the modules.  Perhaps this already
exists.  If I have overlooked it, could someone please point it out for
me?

By the way, on my particular (648fx based) hardware, woody installs just
fine as long as you use the default 2.2 kernel.

Lots of people have, or soon will have, this hardware.  I know Gateway and
Sager have new notebook models that use these chips.  I think Dell does
too.  Sony just announced a line which will use them.

I would be glad to help if I can once it is decided how this problem
should be addressed.

Thanks

Mike