Re: debian-installer fails for SiS 648, 648fx, 746 mainboard chipsets

Mike Taylor wrote:
> debian-installer fails for my new laptop.  I think I have run in to the
> problem described and patched by Oliver Heilmann on the linux-kernel list.
> Apparently, the AGP port requires some initialization not provided by
> current kernels.  The machine locks up when the kernel tries to load the
> agpgart module.
>
> I have no idea when Oliver's patch will make it into the 2.6 series, but I
> suppose that will have to happen before it will be backported to a 2.4
> kernel suitable for Sarge.  In the meantime, I think it would be
> appropriate to provide a way (through a boot agrument I guess) to inhibit
> probing for an agp port and loading the modules.  Perhaps this already
> exists.  If I have overlooked it, could someone please point it out for
> me?

Yes, boot the installer in expert mode ("expert" at the boot: prompt).
Recent versions will prompt you before loading (most) kernel modules,
and you can make it skip the problimatic one.

> By the way, on my particular (648fx based) hardware, woody installs just
> fine as long as you use the default 2.2 kernel.
>
> Lots of people have, or soon will have, this hardware.  I know Gateway and
> Sager have new notebook models that use these chips.  I think Dell does
> too.  Sony just announced a line which will use them.
>
> I would be glad to help if I can once it is decided how this problem
> should be addressed.

It sounds like it would be good to file a bug report on the debian
kernel as well. Our kernel maintainer may decide to apply this patch
with dispatch. If you file an installation report as documented, our
helpers should see to getting the necessary bug filed against the
kernel.

--
see shy jo