Woody->Sarge upgrade claims to break if using devfsd

Hi list,

Note: I an _not_ subscribed, so you need to CC me.

Yesterday, we upgraded 5 workstations from woody to sarge.
gnome-desktop-environment depends indirectly on udev, so that package is
pulled in also. However, you will get a nagscreen then during upgrade:

| udev is not configured to use devfs-style devices.
|
| Your system WILL BREAK if you run udev with its default configuration.
|
| Please refer to /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian for more information
| on how to configure udev for devfs-style naming.

(Without a 'cancel' button of course)

IMHO, it's weird at best that upgrading GNOME will break your system,
due to the current configuration of the /dev files. Whether or not GNOME
has any business forcing udev on you is debatable, but I think udev
should simply fail gracefully to start unless configured correctly.

I didn't dare to have any system rebooted yet, but fear for the results,
that this upgrade caused our systems to become unbootable.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl