Crosswalk - Every Day Light: At-One-Ment , December 18, 2004

AD| Do You Have the New Holman CSB?
http://l.salemweb.net/holman0804m/devo/
____________________________

                E V E R Y   D A Y   L I G H T
    Daily readings to help you see Jesus' light in your life
                    by Selwyn Hughes

At-One-Ment

"God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in
    his blood." (v. 25)

      -- For reading & meditation: Romans 3:21-31

Herbert Spencer, whom we quoted earlier, wrote: "The task of religion
is at-one-ment: atonement. If it fails to do this it fails at the
vital point." Its ritual may be beautiful, its sanctions may be
ancient, its precepts may be good, but if it fails to bring men and
women into correspondence with God it fails vitally and
irretrievably. All else is useless, for if the problem of evil is
ignored or passed over, we are like the person who dreams about and
plans next year's happiness while an incurable disease is eating at
his vitals. The wonderful distinctive of Christianity is this - Jesus
Christ has done something about the problem of being out of
correspondence with God. He puts the hand of a penitent sinner into
the hand of a pardoning God. Because of the nature of the problem -
the problem of evil - no other solution is possible. Salvation is a
task which only God could engineer. As one theologian puts it: "It is
a task worthy of God." The ancient Greek playwrights used to warn
their students that when writing a tragedy they should not bring a
god onto the stage unless there was an entanglement worthy of a god.
The presence of evil in this world, I suggest, presents an
entanglement worthy of God. But it is no mere stage affair. It is a
tragic fact. To deliver men and women from evil was a problem that
challenged God's power and made the deepest claim upon His love. The
cross is the answer. If we don't take God's way of salvation, then
nothing else will do.

PRAYER:
Father, I rejoice that You have brought me to Your way -t he only
way. Help the millions who strive to earn their salvation see that
the penalty for sin has been fully paid. And all they have to do is
humbly receive. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

FURTHER STUDY:
1 John 2:1-2; 4:10; 2 Cor. 5:11-19

1. What is at the heart of atonement?

2. What did John assure the believers?

Christmas Appeal from Selwyn Hughes

Show your love for children in Africa who have lost their parents but
found Jesus

Click here to find out more...
http://www.cwr.org.uk/crosswalk/redirect/cwnov04/microsite

Additional devotionals are available from Crosswalk.com:
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.7.29594.1.1613450
----------
Copyright 2002 Selwyn Hughes, CWR, Waverley Abbey House,
Waverley Lane, Farnham, Surrey, England.  Come to
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.7.29594.2.1613450
for more inspirational devotions by Selwyn Hughes.
-----------
To read current World news stories, National news stories, and
commentaries, visit
http://link.crosswalk.com/UM/T.asp?A1.7.29594.3.1613450

>>> Share the good news <<<
Please forward this message to a friend!

FREE Christian Book
http://l.salemweb.net/swnoffer0203/

from this newsletter immediately, simply click on the link below.
If this link is not clickable, simply cut and paste it into the
address bar of your browser.

http://www.salememail.com/unsub/7/1613450.aspx

* Copyright © 2004 Salem Web Network and its Content
  Providers. All rights reserved.

1613450

TRINITY COLLEGE & SEMINARY OFF CAMPUS & ONLINE
Experience Personal & Ministry Growth
Through Bible-Focused Degree Programs
Associate and Bachelor of Arts
Master of Arts, M.Div., Doctor of Arts, Doctor of Ministry
http://l.salemweb.net/tcs2003tr/footer/

Questions or comments can be sent to mailsupport@crosswalk.com