Re: your daily build of powerpc floppies

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 11:06:02PM +0100, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 10:39:01PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Yes for the rc2, No for the daily build.
> > > For rc2 it is also immediately rejected. I also tried to boot into
> > > Open Firmware (with serial console attached) and said
> > > boot fd
> > > but it produces a message saying that the load command is not
> > > supported for this device. I have never been able to boot a floppy
> > > from OF.
> >
> > Ok. You could try netbooting also :
> >
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-coff.initrd
> I've already wasted *much* time trying to netboot. I had a self-built
> 2.4 kernel and I managed to load it via dhcp/tftp. OF could init
> text and data segments but failed on bss. The necessary setup is
> probably still working, I have just installed a new x86 based machine
> via netboot....
> Is there some howto (besides the one from the bsd folks) for what
> settings are needed on my ancient OF version?

Not sure.

> > The daily buils will stay available, as for getting them in the real debian
> > release, two things are needed :
> >
> >  1) being able to build miboot from a debian present toolchain, and not on
> >  some older version of codewarrior for mac os 9 and earlier.
> Is miboot open source? What would be needed for compiling it on a debian
> tool-chain? Just a rewrite of assembler syntax plus some linker scripts?
> What is codewarrior? Assembler or some high-level language?

A compiler and linker which can output binaries and object files in the format
used by mac os 9 and earlier. codewarrior is one such compiler suite, from
metrowerks. It is non-free, obviously.

> >  2) reverse engineering the boot sector, which is probably 200 or so m68k
> >  assembly instructions, mostly pmac rom trap instructions. I have not looked
> >  at them, since i want to write the stuff, but we need someone else to look at
> >  them, dissassemble them, and write a spec of what they do, and then we can
> >  generate them again or something.
>
> Is this the first sector on your boot disk?

Yes. It is described in some apple site i don't have in memory, and has a
bunch of value field which are ok, and appended to it a few assembly
instructions.

> Is there a documentation of the firmware on what traps are available and
> what they do?

I suppose there may be some low level apple books of the 80/90s will contain
this info.

Friendly,

Sven Luther