Re: Having ALSA work properly at the end of a d-i install?

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:49:09PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Christian Perrier wrote:
> > At the end of the install, a user session is automagically opened and
> > I intend to get a nice sound saying "Hello and welcome to your new
> > Debian system"...in the current language. The session is a GNome
> > session because this is what give all defaults settings.
> >
> > Here comes my nightmare : though the sound card in my test box is
> > properly detected (modules are loaded), the sound server in Gnome is
> > just unable to use it.

> I think there's a good chance that this is due to gstreamer0.8-oss not
> being installed as part of the desktop install. Note that this is fixed
> as of yesterday in gnome-applets 2.8.1.1-4 in unstable. This prolem with
> gnome not working with the OSS sound modules used by default is really a
> separate problem from alsa not working.

That was my thought.

Holding up the update of gnome-applets in testing, we have:

$ grep-excuses gnome-applets
gnome-applets (2.6.2.1-1 to 2.8.1.1-4)
    Maintainer: Marc Dequènes (Duck)
    Too young, only 2 of 10 days old
    out of date on s390: gnome-applets, gnome-applets-dev (from 2.6.2.1-1)
    Not considered
    Depends: gnome-applets gconf2 (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-applets libgnome (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-applets libgnomeui (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-applets gnome-vfs2 (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-applets gnome-panel (not considered)
$ grep-excuses gnome-panel
gnome-panel (2.6.2-3 to 2.8.1-2)
    Maintainer: Marc Dequènes (Duck)
    11 days old (needed 10 days)
    out of date on s390: gnome-panel, libpanel-applet2-0, libpanel-applet2-dbg, libpanel-applet2-dev (from 2.6.2-3)
    Not considered
    Depends: gnome-panel gconf2 (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel gnome-desktop (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel libgnome (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel libgnomeui (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel gnome-vfs2 (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel libwnck (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel gnome-session (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel control-center (not considered)
    Depends: gnome-panel evolution-data-server

There are a lot of s390 builds still missing in this chain, so it will be
some time yet before this particular fix finds its way into testing.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer