Re: specifying a preseed url by dhcp

Paul Millar wrote:
> As you say, the PXE boot will have already used the
> next-server:/filename DHCP extensions to download the next-stage
> installer (PXElinux / d-i / whatever).  Overloading the filename
> parameter seems like a recipe for disaster; sure, we can return a
> vendor-ID-based value, but vendor-specific replies is a bit of a
> faff.
>
> IIRC, PXELinux gets around this by looking for a configuration file in
> a standard subdirectory on the next-server (could be "/pxelinux", I
> don't have a machine handy).  The filename is the hex-encoded version
> of its IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 == "C0A80101").  If this fails,
> then the least significant bytes are successively zero-ed out
> (simulating different common subnet masks) until it tries "default"
> as a filename (instead of "00000000").
>
> Grub, on the other hand, uses a specific tag (150) to store the
> location of its config file.  On the face of things, this seems in
> violation of RFC2939.  But, if there's no way of registering new
> tags ...
>
> Those, I think, are our three options.  Personally, I'd go for the
> third one, if we can do it without violating RFC2939.  Failing that,
> having a standard filename (perhaps cascading, like PXELinux) might
> be OK.

One thing we could do is append something to the filename, so d-i would
try to tftp down files from /pxelinux.0.preseed/ using the same set of
schemes for finding host-specific files as does pxelinux, or just
looking for /prxlinux.0.preseed/$hostname. Only problem is that we'd
need a tftp client in d-i.

--
see shy jo