Re: specifying a preseed url by dhcp

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 15:40, Joey Hess wrote:
> Paul Millar wrote:
[various options]

> One thing we could do is append something to the filename, so d-i
> would try to tftp down files from /pxelinux.0.preseed/ using the
> same set of schemes for finding host-specific files as does
> pxelinux, or just looking for /prxlinux.0.preseed/$hostname. Only
> problem is that we'd need a tftp client in d-i.

We could use any naming scheme we choose.  Perhaps best to avoid any
collision with PXElinux, as the two are independent; so something
like /preseed/$hostname maybe?

... BUT ... the three options above were three different ways of d-i
discovering which file to use.  This is independent of the transport
used to actually fetch the preseed file.  It could be NFS, TFTP,
HTTP, ... our choice.  It doesn't have to be tftp.

Assuming we use HTTP as our transport (as we do currently),  using
option 1 (overload the "filename" option), simply do a
  wget http://$nextserver/$filename
where the two variables are expanded from DHCP values.

Or, (PXELinux style) option 2: work out our hex-filename and do
  wget http://$nextserver/preseed/C0A80101
  wget http://$nextserver/preseed/C0A80100
  wget http://$nextserver/preseed/C0A80000
  wget http://$nextserver/preseed/default
until one succeeds.

Or, (Grub-style) extract our tag, treat it as an URL and do
  wget $URL

The last option is the most flexible, as we could allow the user to
specify a complete URL which could (potentially) be anything we want
to support, e.g. nfs://host/path, ftp://server/path,
tftp://server/path, ...

Cheers,

Paul.