Re: Add lspci to the list of binaries installed by d-i?

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 08:04:12AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Debian Installer testers answers to this are very often that lspci is
> not available if they switch to vt2 during the install. Then our
> answer is recommending them to boot with something else, like Knoppix
> LiveCD.
>
> I'm wondering whether it could be possible to add /usr/bin/lspci as
> soon as possible in the installation process.
>
> That binary is part of the pciutils package. This is why I CC this
> mail to the package maintainer.
>
> That would probably require the pciutils source package to build a
> udeb package with only /usr/bin/lspci in it.

FYI, I just patched Ubuntu's pciutils package this week to do this:

  http://people.ubuntulinux.org/patches/pciutils.udeb.diff

This turns out to be useful once you try to drop discover1-data, since
pci.ids is then the only way to display descriptive names for network
interfaces in netcfg.

Cheers,