Re: The best scheme to test D-I

Glad to hear there's another one of us (the few, the proud!) interested in helping test D-I on PowerMac hardware. What kind of machine do you have?

Here are my suggestions:

Leave some free space (I allow about 10 GB) to install your test Debian into. Plan to re-initialize this free space each time you do a test install. Also allow some space (your choice as to how much) for a "permanent" /home partition that you share with your "main"/"permanent" debian installation. You will probably develop tools as you test things and it's nice to have a permanent "rack space" to put them when you're not using them. You can also use the free-standing /home partition as a place to stash log files and the like.

Also, having the working "main"/"permanent" Debain installation available when you need it will make it much easier to fix up minor glitches in the test installations. When you get to the reboot between phase1 and phase2, it often happens that there is some minor thing wrong with the setup that causes you to be unable to boot. Being able to boot back to your "main" Debian installation and look around so you can find and fix the glitches will save you from having to re-do the whole of phase1 (possibly multiple times) and get on to testing phase2 stuff sooner.

Enjoy!

Rick