Re: Localization-config and conffiles (was Re: Localization-config uploaded, 2 strings for translation)

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 08:24:09AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I believe you have misread the policy.  As far as I know, it says that
> one packages maintainer scripts should not modify another packages
> configuration files.

I based the comment on a mail from Konstantinos I recently revisited, see :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/09/msg00365.html

> The script called from base-config is not a maintainer script, so this
> isn't a policy violation.

Sorry, I was under the impression that a user that installed
'localization-config' would have update-locale-config run on his system in
the packages' postinst. Reviewing the package's maintainer scripts I now
see that this is actually not true.

> But it would be better if the individual packages provided a script to
> change the language settings, to avoid having to track all the
> different package formats, and to avoid upgrade problems.

Agreed. Feel free to bug links/lynx/mozilla and other similar packages
about it.

Regards

Javier