Re: Localization-config and conffiles (was Re: Localization-config uploaded, 2 strings for translation)

[Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña]
> Just a note. Your links configuration (as the lynx one I have sent
> to the BTS) modifies _another_ conffile (/etc/links.cfg in the links
> case). This is a policy violation (a package cannot modify another's
> package configuration file automatically).

I believe you have misread the policy.  As far as I know, it says that
one packages maintainer scripts should not modify another packages
configuration files.

The script called from base-config is not a maintainer script, so this
isn't a policy violation.

But it would be better if the individual packages provided a script to
change the language settings, to avoid having to track all the
different package formats, and to avoid upgrade problems.