Re: Sarge, thought after a week of contact

Quoting xerces8 (xerces8@butn.net):

> > This question is asked for every installs except fully automated ones.
> >
> > It has always been asusmed that the consequence of a language choice
> > is indeed an installation system, then later a full system, with the
> > given language as default.
>
> Is this a fact or assumption ?

I would probably better explain this in my own language, but most of
the time when I'm asked about "Choisir la langue", I usually expect
than hitting French will give me understandable stuff and choosing
Greek will give me headaches....:-)

> > So, no real need for verbosity has been felt here
>
> I feel it.

The language you will choose will influence the way Debian Installer
will input information from you along the installation process as well
as the default language on the installed system, provided all
installed software support your language.

Of course we can do this.....but all this more pertains to the
installation manual imho.

> > > 4.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : "Select country"
> > >
> > > OK, for the language one can guess its purpose, but the country ?
> > > Is this for selecting some default locale ? It is not used as a hint
> > > for the keyboard layout, as I noticed.
> > > So what is its purpose ?
> >
> > Same answer than above. The general idea is using this information for
> > has many settings as possible (timezone, locale, mirror). However,
> > giving details here would probably be more confusing than helpful,
> > again. So, the explanations we had in beta3 (IIRC) were finally removed.
>
> Yep, saying "select the country you are in" is very confusing, while
> "select (any) country" is not.

This was a compromise, as often. That question is more tricky here
because several unrelated things are indeed driven by this
choice. Most of them are parameters about the country the user is
geographically living in, so the formulation is the one you see...and
it's not likely to change for the release unless someone mangaes to
get the 40 translators synchronised..:-)

> > > 5.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : keyboard layouts are not sorted
> > >
> > > In the menu for selecting the keyboard layout, the entries are not
> > > alphabetically sorted. As there are quite many of them, sorting would
> > > be helpful.
> >
> > There is a technical drawback here : the values are translated values
> > (even the English ones) and sorting means adding some tricky code...
>
> alpha sort is something like first year of CS...
> (it may not sort indian words correctly, but they aren't sorted now either ... )

You're more than welcome for fixing this....Remember you have to do
this by respecting LC_COLLATE for the current language *without*
breaking the debconf mechanism which is hidden behind.

This has been done for the countrychooser, at the expense of quite
complicated coding, contributed by one of the most skilled i18n
contributors in Debian (Denis Barbier)...and at the expense of risky
changes which are not likely to be made *now*.

Hint: the sort-countries script in countrychooser source
tree.

The bug is reported, the team is aware of a potential enhancement in
that part of the installer....now it's just time for coding and
contributions are welcomed.