Sarge, thought after a week of contact

Hi!

That would be facts, not thoughts.

1.) xfree86-common

In the monitor configuration it asks for refresh ranges,
but it does not say in what units are the values expected.

2.) GNOME <-> X dependency

The gnome desktop package ( under "Tasks" in aptitude ) has
no dependency on xserver. Why ? Because it could be used on
a remote display ?

2.a) xserver-common not dependent on XXX

XXX being some X11 essentials package, having mostly font
related stuff. Sorry, can't recall the name.
Again, why is there no dependency set up ?

3.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : first question "Select language"

It would be nice to explain what is the choice used for.
Installer language ? Installed system default language ?
Something else ?

4.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : "Select country"

OK, for the language one can guess its purpose, but the country ?
Is this for selecting some default locale ? It is not used as a hint
for the keyboard layout, as I noticed.
So what is its purpose ?

5.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : keyboard layouts are not sorted

In the menu for selecting the keyboard layout, the entries are not
alphabetically sorted. As there are quite many of them, sorting would
be helpful.

6.) bug 276482 installer creates too small extended partition

Reproducable, if I create a logical ext3 partition for / and a
primary swap on a blank disk ( no partition table before installation ),
then the extended partition will not cover the entire disk.

7.) debian-installer pre-rc2 strange use of CD units

After install & reboot I scanned a few official sarge weekly CDs by APT
( in the post-reboot procedure, when it offers that posibility )

The thing is , that it scanned the CDs in cdrom hda, but then later
when installing packages, it expects the CDs in hdc , strange.

( I performed the boot and install from hdc )

Some data :
/cdrom -> media/cdrom
/media/cdrom -> /media/cdrom0
/etc/fstab :
/dev/hdc	/media/cdrom0
/dev/hda	/media/cdrom1
/dev/hdd	/media/cdrom2

/dev/ :
cdrom -> cdrom0
cdrom0 -> hda
cdrom1 -> hdc
cdrom2 -> hdd

How comes that it uses one unit for scanning and another for reading(installing) ?

Regards,
xerces8