Re: Sarge, thought after a week of contact

> 3.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : first question "Select language"
>
> It would be nice to explain what is the choice used for.
> Installer language ? Installed system default language ?
> Something else ?

This question is asked for every installs except fully automated ones.

It has always been asusmed that the consequence of a language choice
is indeed an installation system, then later a full system, with the
given language as default.

So, no real need for verbosity has been felt here

> 4.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : "Select country"
>
> OK, for the language one can guess its purpose, but the country ?
> Is this for selecting some default locale ? It is not used as a hint
> for the keyboard layout, as I noticed.
> So what is its purpose ?

Same answer than above. The general idea is using this information for
has many settings as possible (timezone, locale, mirror). However,
giving details here would probably be more confusing than helpful,
again. So, the explanations we had in beta3 (IIRC) were finally removed.

> 5.) debian-installer pre-rc2 : keyboard layouts are not sorted
>
> In the menu for selecting the keyboard layout, the entries are not
> alphabetically sorted. As there are quite many of them, sorting would
> be helpful.

There is a technical drawback here : the values are translated values
(even the English ones) and sorting means adding some tricky code...

Not impossible...just no-one was motivated enough..:-)

#259867