ACPI breakage on Dell Optiplex GX280

I keep running into this bug, so I'm going to note it here so folks have some hope of finding it and understanding what's going on.

I just did a d-i run on a pristine (took it out of the box ~30 minutes ago) Dell GX280, 3GB memory, dual SATA disks.

everything seems to roll merrily along - the installer works great, as usual, and everything seems to happen properly.

until you reboot.

when you reboot, it hangs right after init fires up.

the fix is to specify "acpi=off" in the grub command-line before one boots the system. the system will then progress onward in a normal-seeming fashion.

[there seems to be some exim4 brokenness on my machine at first boot, but i suppose someone has already reported that.]

i'm tempted to think that acpi=off is something that ought to be appended to the "recovery"-style grub defaults when d-i is installed.

comments, thoughts, other fixes?

thanks,

--elijah