Re: d-i pre-rc2 has support for russian installation broken

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:36:09AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
>> There have been discussions a few weeks ago about changes between
>> Evguenyi, Anton and Nikolai....things have been commited and it seems
>> that they weren't tested enough.
>
> I've got it. As far as I see that, the necessary changes for russian have
> been in both base-config and languagechooser. The changes in
> languagechooser has been half-deactivated, but not the changes in
> base-config. Therefore, the tools installation in languagechooser is
> deactivated (my change), but the language line in languagelist is
> commented out (old value is active). Therefore, stage2 tries to use
> console-cyrillic, which is not installed.
>
> Can languagechooser get an urgent update to the languagelist file?

If at all possible, I think this upload should revert change, making it
install console-cyrillic again. As a quick look shows, code currently in
base-config expects console-cyrillic, and that's thr Right Thing.

The fact is that console-cyrillic is the only tool currently in debian that
can properly set up cyrillic VGA console (not framebuffer but VGA console).
The problem goes deep into VGA: koi8 uses character codes 0xC0 - oxFF.
which do interfer with some VGA control settings. This causes vertical
lines (in debconf dialogs, in mc, etc) to be non-continious. To overcome
that, a complex mapping has to be defined, such that KOI codes don't
actually go to VGA console. Console-cyrillic does that. Colsole-tools does
not.

Also, console-cyrillic gives a rich set of settings for cyrillic console.
It's almoist a must-have on russian system.