Re: Debian installer and Dell Dimension 8400

Thomas Kirk wrote:
> The problem is as following. First the debian installer wouldn't
> recongnize the sata controller that computer is born with i searched
> the web and solved it by switching to the console and manually
> modprobe ata_piix module this controller needs. After that everything
> about the partitioning went fine. The controller and disk is seen as a
> scsi device.

> 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 266f (rev 03)
> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2652 (rev 03)

> 00:1f.1 Class 0101: 8086:266f (rev 03)
> 00:1f.2 Class 0101: 8086:2652 (rev 03)

One of these is the pci id of the controller, but discover knows about
neither device (though the first is thought to be PATA and the second
some sort of SATA raid). What is the name of your SATA controller, and
do you know if you have a PATA controller too? Can you attach
/proc/bus/pci/devices so we can see which of these the sata_piix driver
uses, and if the other is used by some driver?

> I install base system and write to the master boot sector
> with grub. The computer boots but it halts around this line ->
>
> Real Time Clock Driver v1.12

I'd need more details about the messages just before the hang to hazard
a guess about the cause.

--
see shy jo