Re: partman-auto recipes (RAID and LVM2, leaving /home intact) ?

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:18:53PM -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> Is it possible to automate not formatting a /home partition, leaving it
> intact and mounting it on the /target/home?

At present partman-auto can not reuse existing partitions.  In
particular this means that it can not reuse existing /home.

> In the case where there is only one large / partition, I would like to
> have the capability of noticing that, and moving aside all
> but /target/home and /target/opt, say to /target/oldsys prior to calling
> on a (to be written rsn) 'base-dar-installer'.  How should I manage
> that, in the context of d-i?  Is that something that an extension of
> 'partman' should do, or what?  I need help.

Yes, this can be an extension of partman.

In general I think that partman-auto needs to be partialy reworked to
allow easy creation of such extensions and to support reusing existing
partitions, creating partitions on two and more hard disks, LVM and
RAID, upgrade of existing GNU/Linux system, etc.

Anton Zinoviev