Modifying d-i to replicate hosts (revisited)

In re:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03855.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/05/msg03873.html

Joey Hess wrote:

> If you mae replicator-udeb provide all the same things as
> base-installer, as well as providing base-installer, and have a
> XB-Installer-Menu-Item that is say, one less than base-installer's, it
> should be run before base-installer, and then the base-installer run
> skipped over.

I'm working on a system restore setup based on d-i, and am creating a
udeb that will unpack a 'dar' archive from CD, DVD(, or NFS; future).

I'd like the same disc to double as a standard d-i netinst, and I'm
wondering if there's a way to offer a choice between running 'base-
installer' or my 'base-dar-installer'?  That could be done either with a
boot command line option or by prompting.

If I have it provide the same things that base-installer does and give
it the same menu priority, will the menu be displayed?

Perhaps what I ought to do is give it a menu sort priority slightly
lower than base-installer, then if it's to be used as a d-i netinst,
just boot it in expert mode.  Will that do what I expect, which is that
at each stage I get the full menu, with no automatic progression?

--
    Karl Hegbloom
(o_  mailto:hegbloom@pdx.edu