Re: Missing some options in Tasksel

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 01:54:12PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Pradeeper wrote:
> > Don't know whom to inform , thought Debian Install team is the proper
> > one as http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/tasksel.html
> >
> > Ok! problem is,
> > when I run tasksel, it wont give "X windows" or "Desktop Environment"
> > options which gave previously.
> > Why is that? I asked same question in "Debian User list" and "Debian
> > Testing" and didn't get a answer...
>
> The X task was removed because most people who want the X environment
> with a custom window manager or other setup will be happy to manually
> select the packages they want, and the x-window-system package exists to
> ease that process.
>
> The desktop task was temporarily unavailable in testing due to
> meta-kde's temporary removal from testing. This was resolved the other
> day when meta-kde went back in, and the desktop task worked for me
> yesterday.

Would it not make sense to have a minimal X environment presented in the tasks
stuff, for people who want a graphical environment, but not necessarily
download the whole of KDE and Gnome and OpenOffice.

A minimal graphic environment task, which loads the x-window-system package,
and maybe a few other stuff that are needed, would be a very welcome addition
to the plain desktop task, and i seriously don't think that having two tasks
that deal with X is so much of a problem for both the newbie user and the
normal users. Notice that the whole slew of different server tasks will be
more of a bother to newbies that having to chose between two graphical/desktop
tasks.

Think of people with modem internet connections or small harddisks. Also, the
fact that the x-window-system can be manually installed is not an argument,
because if you go that way, we could just as well remove the whole tasksel
thingy or at least drop it to some lower priority so it doesn't get shown in
normal installs.

Friendly,

Sven Luther