Re: hindi xlation

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:21:24AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Rajesh Menon (rajeshmenon@nyu.edu):
> > Hi Christian,
> > I have been told by people working on the Hindi translations to other distro's that the indic fonts, up until now will not render right in anything which doesnt support ttf fonts. And that the text installer is not going to turn out right.
> >
> > So, I wanted to ask you if translators in some other language have come across this problem, and if there is some workaround to it.

> Well, several other non-Latin languages are OK : Japanese, Korean,
> Chinese (both), Arabic, Hebrew

> All is needed is having the correct characters in the bterm-unifont
> Unicode font.....

> Can you provide us the the Unicode codes of all characters needed for
> Hindi (or are there too much characters needed for such a list to be realistic?)

Hindi uses an alphabetic writing system, so this shouldn't be too
problematic.  The unifont package may even include the characters
already.

> Farsi (Persian) seems to be missing some characters as well...we still
> have to investigate this.

AFAIK, the main problem for Farsi is that the accent combining
characters are not displayed by bterm.  (They are definitely present in
the font.)  Arabic display also suffers this problem, but at least for
Arabic it seems to not be regarded as critical.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer