Re: hindi xlation

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

> > Can you provide us the the Unicode codes of all characters needed for
> > Hindi (or are there too much characters needed for such a list to be realistic?)
>
> Hindi uses an alphabetic writing system, so this shouldn't be too
> problematic.  The unifont package may even include the characters
> already.

Rajesh, could you checkout the D-I svn repository, go to
build/needed-characters and put there a file named "hi", UTF-8
encoded, with all characters needed by the Hindi language?

After this, can you make a fake translation, for instance of
countrychooser country selection screen, where the string you use has
indeed ALL these characters?

Example: for making this test with French, I would "translate" "Choose
a country, territory or area:" to
"ABCDEFGHIJ....Zabcdefghi....zéèçà..."

Having this, we could built a special countrychooser/languagechooser
set, choose Hindi, display the concerned countrychooser screen and see
whether some of these characters are missing.

We probably also need some information about Hindi input at the text
console : is there a special Hindi keyboard map for the Linux console?