Re: question of aptitude with important/standard

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:54:33PM +0900, Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> was heard to say:
> Then aptitude is called from tasksel internally,
> 'aptitude --without-recommends -y install ~prequired ~pimportant ~pstandard'
>
> I assume this would install all required/important/standard packages,
> but aptitude will only try to upgrade these packages instead of installing
> additional standard packages.

  It looks like a bug caused by the sloppy way that the version to be
checked is determined in aptitude.  aptitude searches based on the
version of a package which is "to be installed", which means that it
won't notice any packages that aren't already installed.

  I can fix this by changing InstVerIter to CandVerIter on line 300 of
cmdline_action.cc, but I want to check whether I did this for a reason
first so I don't reopen another bug :-).

  Daniel

|     "Hmm, do I understand correctly that we've introduced a 1970 bug in     |
|      order to move the 2038 bug to 2106?"                                   |
|       -- Richard Braakman                                                   |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/