How does installer configure modules used after reboot?

I've got a case where debian-installer RC1 fails on reboot. I'm
writing up my installation report, but first I have a question.

I'm not sure that the necessary modules are loaded to see the RAIDed
drives holding the install. Would these modules have to appear in the
modprobe entries in the loadmodules file in
/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386?

Is /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26-1-386 created dynamically during install,
or is it stored in a .deb within sarge-i386-netinst.iso?

Thanks.

--
Tod Hagan
Concord, NH