Re: AlphaServer DS25 failure

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 03:42:04PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:54:18PM -0700, Brian Carnes wrote:
> > Saw your request for testing on alphalinux.org.
>
> > I got the following, when booting with a CD from sarge-alpha-netinst.iso
> > (beta4): it gives the following upon boot:
>
> >   aboot: Can't load kernel.
> >   Memory at fffffc0000310000 - fffffc0000562ccb (chunk 0) is Busy (Reserved)
>
> > I didn't see anything about this in the errata, so I won't bother to try
> > burning a daily build unless you think there's a chance this had been fixed.
>
> > For comparison:
> >   Trying to boot an old Redhat 7.1 Alpha CD doesn't work either (loads
> > initrd gets to "aboot: starting kernel ..." and hangs)
>
> > It boots the Tru64 system off the HD just fine though...
>
> You may want to ask on the debian-alpha mailing list about this.  This
> certainly doesn't look like an installer-specific bug; it's bound to be
> a problem with one of the bootloader, the kernel, or your hardware
> configuration.

DS25 requires a kernel that is NOT compiled with the
LEGACY_START_ADDRESS=y configuration option.

Other machines with requirements like DS25 are: DS15, DS45, ES47.

IIRC, it's only the MILO-based machines that require LEGACY_START_ADDRESS.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com