Re: Hardware recognized, but disks not found during installation

Sam Liddicott wrote:
> I'm doing a network installation of sarge.
>
> In /var/log/messages of the installation temp ramdisk I see:
>

> user.notice hw-detect: Detected module '3w-xxxx' for '3ware Inc. 3ware
> 7000-series ATA-RAID
>
> user.notice hw-detect: Trying to load module '3w-xxxx'
>

> user.notice hw-detect: Missing module '3w-xxxx'.
>
> user.notice hw-detect: Trying to load module (3ware Inc. 3ware
> 7000-series ATA-RAID), usb-storage (USB-storage)

Is this during the first hardware detection phase, when the installer is
running from a minimal initrd that does not contain drivers for
or after the second phase, when the installer has loaded all available
components (including scsi-exta-modules, which contains the 3w-xxxx
module) from CD?

I suspect the former, which makes this a red herring. It's just as
likely that the 3w-xxxx module is not the right one for your hardware,
or fails to detect your disks, or that there is some other problem.

Send us a full set of logs, please. Preferably in a proper and complete
installation report filed in the bug tracking system.

--
see shy jo