Hardware recognized, but disks not found during installation

I'm doing a network installation of sarge.

In /var/log/messages of the installation temp ramdisk I see:

user.notice hw-detect: Detected module '3w-xxxx' for '3ware Inc. 3ware 7000-series ATA-RAID

user.notice hw-detect: Trying to load module '3w-xxxx'

user.notice hw-detect: Missing module '3w-xxxx'.

user.notice hw-detect: Trying to load module (3ware Inc. 3ware 7000-series ATA-RAID), usb-storage (USB-storage)

So, why no 3w-xxxx module? And will it help if I get one?
Searching debian website for 3w-xxxx or 3ware reveals nothing, but as far as I can tell the 3w-xxxx module has been part of the kernel since 2.4.18 and part of the debian kernel since at least 2.4.20 when it was mentioned in relation to bug #181581.

Now if I build a network-boot-install-kernel that has 3w-xxxx in it, I suppose the real kernel that gets installed won't have 3w-xxxx support?

If I get an installed kernel working, will dselect then go and install a kernel without the essential module?

Sam