Re: partman-efi

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 10:05, Joey Hess wrote:
> dann frazier wrote:
> >   Jim Lieb filed a patch for #257910 which adds the partman-efi
> > package and adds efi support to partman-auto.  I've tested an image
> > he made for us, and it worked fine on my system.
> >
> >   I'd appreciate if someone more partman knowledgable than I could
> > take a look at the patch; if it looks reasonable to such a person,
> > I'll be happy to commit these changes and do an upload.
>
> I looked at it mainly to see if we should consider it for this
> month's release. It adds new strings, and depends on a efi-udeb that
> does not seem to exist yet, so I think we should hold off on it until
> after the release, as we're currently in a string freeze, and have
> only a few days to get final udebs into the archive. After that, it
> looks ok to me, of course I don't know a lot about either partman or
> efi so am not the most qualified to look at it.

The strings in the template have already been "translated" for the
most part.  I picked the strings from the hppa/palo boot and did an
s/palo/efi/g on them. The big translation part is patch set I made for
the manual.

Given that without this patch, people will end up doing a complete base
install and *then* find out that elilo-installer can't find a partition
will make for bug reports like the one filed.  I'm no language expert
but the strings are passable and the manual is necessary to keep happy
clients even if it is only in english at present.  I believe that is
preferable to having bug reports from users after they see a message
that they should have seen 20 mins earlier indicating that they have
to repeat that 30 min exercise with little enlightement as to what the
problem entails.

Jim
--
Jim Lieb			Wild Open Source Inc.