is /etc/debian_version trustworthy?

(For those who don't follow the thread about preseeding X debconf
values, I need a way to support both woody, sarge and future releases
and I need a way to know the current release)

Can I count on /etc/debian_version holding specific and well known
values? (aside from the case a stupid user changes the contents of
the file)
If not, is there *any* other way to know the debian release version
(aside from keeping huge package version maps)?

Konstantinos