Re: Debian installation enviroment

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 01:48:58PM +0200, Fredrik Johnsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Seams I'll have to refrase it a bit.
>
> Currently I'm trying to find out what deps the program dbootstrap on
> woody cdinstallation has regarding libraries, enviroment variables and
> other commands,program (fdisk, mke2fs and such).

Hmm... You seem to need some basic Debian dependency handling info.

I think you should go to
 http://www.debian.org/devel/  (Or http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/)

Start with
 http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
Then move at leat to
 http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/
 http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

and read these fine documents for the developers and developers-to-be.

If these are too technical, you may want to read some Debian specific
user oriented intro guides like mine:

  http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

Also this is for new d-i, another intro for playing with installer media
by me may be useful for handling disk image files.

  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/hackdi

> I need to know every file and enviroment variable that is the bare
> necessities for it to run on the cd.

Have you looked into debian/control file in the Debianized source
especially Depends: field.

> And I would like to recreate this
> in a chroot enviroment for testing purposes.

Wow,  ... this will be nice but may not be so trivial as I see how
people are developing boot loader.  You can certainly build chroot in
installer initrd type system but that only gives partial test of
installer.

> It might be that I could read out most of it from the source, but I
> don't know where to find the source for bootstrap

As others has suggested use "apt-get source" if you know the name of the
source.