Re: Install Report (22 June 04 Daily Build), Problem with Time Zones

Quoting Michael Bonert (bonerti@mie.utoronto.ca):
> Debian-installer-version:
>
> $ md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> 5db3c8d500380d664c748356910a6d2e  sarge-i386-netinst.iso

For the record, this is 20040622 sid_d-i

> There appears to be some problem with the time zone settings.  I set the
> clock to UTC and my time zone to Eastern (Canada).  Then I noticed... the
> time that is displayed is UTC.
>
> I then poked around in the /etc files and another directory I found:
> ---
> user@debian:/usr/share/zoneinfo$ ls -lat localtime
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 2004-06-23 20:07 localtime -> /etc/localtime
> ---
>
> The above is RED (broken link) -- '/etc/localtime' does NOT exist--
> I suspect this is an install quirk!

I can't reproduce this with my usual test install path
(French+France....which leads me to Europe/Paris as timezone)....and
clock not being UTC.

/etc/localtime there is a ling to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Paris

>Any case, it was nice to see that the normal user I created was put
>into the group "audio" -- the sound worked without me having to
>do anything. :-)  When I first installed Debian last August, I remember

Hmmm, I missed that change. I think this is a base-config hack so that
the user created in base-config is kinda "special" and this allows not
changing shadow (who is really in charge of the user creation).