Re: LDAP-based authentication with the d-i?

Il Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:21:08AM +0200, Fabio Tranchitella ha scritto:
[...]
> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
> > As far as I know, this is not currently possible to do using the
> > installation methods in d-i.
> > I would very much like to have this as well.  We do this using config
> > file rewrites in debian-edu, but would rather use debconf preseeding.
>
> Can it be done? So, can I implement it in d-i?
> Or better, would be useful if I try to implement it?
>
> Yes, I know that 90% of users don't use LDAP-based authentication, but
> IMHO this can be a very very important feature for a quick setup of a
> large debian-based workstation network...

I would *really* love to see such a feature implemented in d-i. I do
understand that it is possible to do it after the installation is complete
but I would like that d-i would be able to leave the machine
completely installed without requiring some other post install setup,
at least for "simple" or "client" install.

If you'll start working at it, I would like to partecipate.

Bye,
Giuseppe

--
 () ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
 /\                       - against ms attachments