Re: HP Proliant ML350 G3 - problems with HP Smart Array 641 Controller

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:44:26AM +0200, Mikael Ljungberg, technordic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've bought an HP Proliant ML350 G3. On this computer there is a harddisk
> controller (HP Smart Array 641 Controller) that doesn't work with any
> linuxdistribution out of the box (the installation programs can't locate
> the SCSI disks). HP has drivers for Red Hat 8 (and a few other
> distributions)
> but I'd like to make this server work with debian.
>
> Do you know about this controller and if I can find drivers for it that
> will work with debian?
To make your controller work we need several things:

1. The controller has to be supported by the debian kernel. Do you know
if HP also distributes the source of this driver or if it is binary
only? Is this driver also included in the official linux kernel sources?
If the kernel module is binary only you are probably out of luck.

2. We need the name of the kernel module required by your controller and
the ouptut of "lspci" and "lspci -n" on your system (if you have an
other linux distribution already running). With this information we can
add your controller to the discover hardware database.

Gaudenz